“You are what you eat.”
It’s a phrase you’ve heard a million times, and even though it’s trite, it’s true. Your diet has a significant impact on your entire wellbeing – from your physical fitness to your mental health to your appearance. And nowhere are the effects of your diet more visible than on your skin.
But how do you know if what you’re eating is helping or hurting your complexion? We’ve laid out a few tips to help you decide what to devour and what to avoid.
Foods that help your skin
- Salmon. Salmon, tuna, and other cold-water fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce inflammation and encourage moisture retention, keeping your skin smooth, soft, and supple.
- Green tea. Considering the well-documented health benefits of green tea, it’s no surprise that it can also delay the signs of aging on the skin. The secret is in polyphenols, antioxidants that help to enhance skin growth and defend against UV rays.
- Eggs. A double whammy for skin protection, eggs contain two important nutrients: protein – to promote skin cell regeneration – and biotin – to keep your skin from drying out.
- Water. There’s really nothing more important for healthy skin than drinking a lot of water. Staying properly hydrated cleans out the toxins from your body and keeps your complexion clear.
Foods that hurt your skin
- Sugar. Candy, cupcakes, ice cream—they taste great, but they’ll wreak all sorts of havoc on your skin. Not only does sugar encourage a breakdown of collagen and elastin, causing premature wrinkles and sagging, but it can also contribute to acne and blemishes.
- Milk. Studies have shown a link between the proteins in dairy products and both clogged pores and increased oil production – prime conditions for major breakouts.
- White bread. Refined carbs, such as those found in white bread, white rice, and bagels have a high glycemic index, which can lead to inflammation and potential acne flare-ups.
- Alcohol. A natural diuretic, alcohol consumption leaves you – and your skin – dehydrated. And without adequate moisture, fine lines and wrinkles become even more obvious.
What your diet can’t do
While a healthy diet can help keep potential skin problems at bay, it can’t undo the damage that’s already been done. Wrinkles, acne scars, and the effects of sun exposure won’t go away, regardless of how much good food you eat.
Fortunately, at Siti Med Spa, we offer a wide variety of treatments to achieve total skin rejuvenation. Here are just a few of our services that can pick up where your diet leaves off:
- Total FX Laser Skin Resurfacing. Using precision lasers, we can erase imperfections and stimulate collagen growth, leading to a reduction in wrinkles, lines, and sunspots.
- Chemical peels. A comprehensive solution to many skin problems, chemical peels can be used to address a specific concern or to achieve a general refresh of your complexion.
- Botox and dermal fillers. With a few simple injections, we can smooth lines and wrinkles out from beneath the surface of your skin, shaving years off your appearance.
- SkinMedica products. Take treatment home with you and recapture a healthy, youthful glow with our line of scientifically formulated and clinically tested skin care products.
Contact Siti Med Spa today
At Siti Med Spa, we take pride in our ability to find custom solutions for all our patients’ needs. We’d love to discuss your skin care goals and help you achieve your desired results. Call us at (619) 717-8484 to schedule a consultation.